Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Salmon..

I have the coolest husband. He read my blog while I was at work today and prepared me a surprise dinner of fresh Salmon- brain food! What a legend. So I decided to dedicate my blog tonight to Salmon.

Apart from being absolutely delicious, salmon is super good for the brain. This is due to their high concentration of 'omega 3 fats'.. The human brain just happens to be made up of about 60% structural fat. This is because our brain cell membranes are essentially made out of these fatty acids, which just happen to be found in salmon. Basically, salmon keeps my brain cells in tip top remembering shape by allowing the cell membranes to operate efficiently - bringing in goodness and getting rid of waste product. Sounds good to me!

So there you have it! Brain food # 1- Salmon! I'm pretty excited to have a good excuse to eat more of it!

I can't say it has worked immediately, because I have just sat here for about 10 minutes trying to remember what else I was planning on writing!

Oh, thats right! I was going to say, there seems to be a great load of studies relating to the benefits of including Omega 3 in children's diets. Epidemiological studies in countries such as the U.S have demonstrated that children low in Omega 3 are more likely to be hyperactive, have learning disorders and behavioural problems. One study, conducted by Purdue university, demonstrated that a greater number of temper tantrums, sleep problems and poor concentration were reported in subjects with low Omega 3 concentrations. I am currently teaching my midget (aka 4 year old daughter) how to read and she is doing wonderfully well.. her memory rocks..and she LOVES fish. Hmm food for thought?

On a final note, here is an example of the sort of thing my darling husband and my very tolerant 4 year old have to put up with on a daily basis.
Every night, my midget and I go through the same routine- we usually play some sort of outside game before dinner time, have dinner, run a bath, PJ time and brush teeth, story time, bed time. It is generally the same thing every night, she loves routine. Last night, we played an awesome game of tag outside, had our dinner together and then as she finished off her ice cream I went into the bathroom to run her bath.... cue memory blank.. Hang on, why am I here? Hmmmm maybe I am having a shower.. So I turn on the shower and hop in..next thing my midget comes running in absolutely distraught that she's not getting a bath tonight because I'm in the shower! WHAT am I doing?! What is particularly strange is I do this routine EVERY night... so why did I forget what I was doing?

So there is a very embarrassing account of WHY I am trying to fix my brain! Haha.

On another embarrassing note.. Today at work I called a man I did not know 'darling' on the phone.. WHYYYYYY!

Come on Salmon, do your magic!









1 comment:

  1. Bahahaha!! Actually laughing out loud reading your post. hehe.

    ReplyDelete