Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rats, Hippos and Mr Stressopolis

OK, so initially I thought I was reading some wonderful love story between a hippo and a rat, but it wasn't..it was actually a trial conducted by Yale University's department of psychology regarding the impact of stress on memory in rats. Basically, the study demonstrated that stress impairs memory function.

Where does the hippo fit in here? Hippocampus = the part of the temporal lobe system in the brain responsible for the formation of stable declarative memory in humans... BAM! There you have it, something must be wrong with the hippo living in my brain. For the sake of this blog (not simply because I enjoy naming everything in my life), lets call this hippo, Hubert.
So, what about this relationship between Ratty, Hubert and Mr Stressopolis? Pretty much, the study concluded that when Ratty is spending too much time with Mr Stressopolis, his lover Hubert does not feel very happy and so sorta just goes into a sulk and refuses to help old Ratty out with remembering things.

Replace Ratty with Lucy and wallah! The hippo in my brain is not so happy with my relationship with Mr Stressopolis..

You know what, I didn't even know I had a relationship with Mr Stressopolis.. but I think he is a stealthy ninja! I don't feel stressed.. well at least I don't think I do. Possibly it is some form of subconscious stress that decides to attack the hippo in my brain in more subtle ways.. But then I think about how busy I always seem to be, and always juggling 101 things and always seeming to put large amounts of pressure on myself and maybe I am spending more time flirting with Mr Stressopolis than taking care of my hippo.

I currently work two jobs, am studying towards a Masters, have a wonderfully energetic 4 year old, a husband who I see 2 days a week, a house which I act obsessive compulsively towards about keeping it tidy, I try to read a book a week, tend to involve myself in extra activities/ try to keep a social life, volunteer for work events as much as possible... My 'to do' list always seems to be several pages long and I try to squeeze as much out of every 24 hours in a day that I can. OK, so no wonder my hippo hates me.

How can I fix my relationship with my hippo? Apparently through things like Yoga, Tai Chi, meditation, baths, mastering my breathing..

So I'm going to find me a Tai Chi course, channel some zen or whatever occurs there.. I might research Tai Chi a bit first, make sure I know what I'm getting myself into.. I still have nightmares about the time I signed up for Ju Jitsu thinking it was self defence.. Lets hope Tai Chi does not result in me wrestling with a large asian man like that time.

I also had fish for dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment